Clients turn to Julie for her advice on the crucial day-to-day issues faced by local governments and her expertise in land use and zoning litigation.
Julie focuses her practice on local government and land use matters, including defending zoning decisions, negotiating and drafting annexation and development agreements, drafting zoning and other development codes, and negotiating economic development projects. She also counsels clients on elections, FOIA, open meetings, conflicts of interest and social networking issues.
Julie currently serves as Village Attorney for the Villages of Gilberts, Lindenhurst, and Wadsworth, and counsel to the Glencoe Police Pension Board.
Julie is co-chair of Ancel Glink's land use practice and co-editor of the group's newsletter, In the Zone. Julie is also the author of the local government blog, Municipal Minute and social media blog, Strategically Social.
Prior to her law career, Julie served for eight years in the United States Army, Military Intelligence Branch, as a Korean cryptologic-linguist.
- Successfully defended a municipality in an action by property owners challenging the annexation of certain property, affirmed by the Illinois appellate court
- Advising communities on day-to-day legal issues relating to ethics, meeting procedures, and local records laws, including preparation of administrative policies relating to FOIA, social media, personnel, and zoning hearings
- Completed numerous comprehensive rewrites of zoning, subdivision, sign, and other development regulations
- Negotiated a settlement of a complex breach of contract case to enforce a development agreement involving a mixed-use downtown development
- Assisting communities in adopting vacant property regulations, priority liens, and other tools to address the housing crisis
- I was at a meeting 'til 2 a.m. last night! What did you do? (ILCMA, 2013)
- Social Media & Local Governments (IMLA, 2012; APA, 2013)
- A DIY Guide to Drafting Ordinances & Resolutions (Minus the Hourly Rate) (Illinois Municipal League, 2012)
- The First Amendment and Land Use (ALI Land Use Institute, 2012)
- "Vacant Properties and Foreclosures: Minimizing the Impacts and Maximizing the Opportunities" (ILCMA 2011)
- Social Media & Local Governments: Navigating the New Public Square (ABA Press, 2013)
- Development by Agreement: A Tool Kit for Land Developers and Local Governments (ABA Press, 2012)
- Municipal Annexation Handbook, Ancel Glink Library
- Planning and Control of Land Development: Cases and Materials, Ninth Edition (LexisNexis, 2011)
- “To Tweet or Not to Tweet: Use of Social Networking in Land Use Planning and Regulation,” Zoning and Planning Law Report (May 2011)
- “Subdivisions, Subdivision Controls, and Drainage,” IICLE Municipal Law Series Handbook (2011)
- "Hard Times for Real Estate Developers and the Impact on Municipalities," Illinois Municipal Review (March 2008)
- Bargaining for Development (ELI, July 2003)