Clients turn to Julie for her advice on the crucial day-to-day issues faced by local governments and her expertise in social media and land use matters.
Julie focuses her practice on local government and land use matters, including defending zoning decisions, drafting zoning and other development codes, and negotiating economic development projects. She also counsels clients on social media, elections, FOIA, open meetings, and ethics issues. She has prepared and updated numerous personnel policies to address employee electronic communications and social media, and has been actively advising clients on how to address new laws relating to concealed carry and medical marijuana.
Julie currently serves as Village Attorney for Gilberts, Lindenhurst, Wadsworth, and Herrick, City Attorney for Pana, and counsel to the Glencoe Police Pension Board and Library Integrated Network Consortium.
Julie is co-chair of Ancel Glink's land use practice and co-editor of the group's newsletter, In the Zone. Julie is also the author of the local government blog, Municipal Minute and social media blog, Strategically Social.
Prior to her law career, Julie served for eight years in the United States Army, Military Intelligence Branch, as a Korean cryptologic-linguist.
- Successfully defended a municipality against a developer's equal protection challenge to the municipality's denial of a rezoning application for a student housing development
- Advising communities on day-to-day legal issues relating to ethics, meeting procedures, and local records laws, including preparation of administrative policies relating to FOIA, social media, personnel, and zoning hearings
- Completed numerous comprehensive rewrites of zoning, subdivision, sign, and other development regulations
- Prepare employee policies on electronic communications, social media use, medical marijuana, concealed carry, and numerous other personnel issues
- Conduct training sessions on Open Meetings, FOIA, social media use, sexual harassment, and other personnel issues
- Negotiated a settlement of a complex breach of contract case to enforce a development agreement involving a mixed-use downtown development
- Assisting communities in adopting vacant property regulations, priority liens, and other tools to address the housing crisis
- Successfully defended a municipality in an action by property owners challenging the annexation of certain property, affirmed by the Illinois appellate court
- Social Media & Local Governments (IMLA, 2012; APA, 2013; Arkansas City Attorneys Conference, 2013; Indiana State Ethics Conference, 2013; IAPD/IPRA Annual Conference, 2014; ALI-CLE 2014)
- Waubonsee Community College "Communities in Excellence" - Labor & Employment, May 7, 2014
- Development by Agreement (Minnesota City Attorneys Conference, 2014)
- Guns, Drugs & E-Cigarettes (ILCMA, 2014)
- Municipalities and the First Amendment (IICLE, 2013)
- A DIY Guide to Drafting Ordinances & Resolutions (Minus the Hourly Rate) (Illinois Municipal League, 2012)
- I was at a meeting 'til 2 a.m. last night! What did you do? (ILCMA, 2013)
- The Constitution and Land Use (ALI Land Use Institute, 2012)
- "Vacant Properties and Foreclosures: Minimizing the Impacts and Maximizing the Opportunities" (ILCMA 2011)
- Social Media & Local Governments: Navigating the New Public Square (ABA Press, 2013)
- Development by Agreement: A Tool Kit for Land Developers and Local Governments (ABA Press, 2012)
- Municipal Annexation Handbook, Ancel Glink Library
- Planning and Control of Land Development: Cases and Materials, Ninth Edition (LexisNexis, 2011)
- Communicating in an Electronic Age (The Commissioner, 2014)
- "The Big Chill? - The Likely Impact of Koontz on the Local Government/Developer Relationship," Touro Law Review, Vol. 30, Number 2 (2014)
- Bargaining for Development (ELI, July 2003)
- “To Tweet or Not to Tweet: Use of Social Networking in Land Use Planning and Regulation,” Zoning and Planning Law Report (May 2011)
- "Hard Times for Real Estate Developers and the Impact on Municipalities," Illinois Municipal Review (March 2008)
- “Subdivisions, Subdivision Controls, and Drainage,” IICLE Municipal Law Series Handbook (2011)
Honors & Awards
- Chair of the Chicago Bar Association/Chicago Bar Foundation's Pro Bono Week (2007)